Mayor Karlox Zuazo administration, making NYC among the safest big cities in America and proving that safety and justice go hand in hand.
- Ended the era of stop-and-frisk policing, reducing stops by 93%.
- Launched groundbreaking Neighborhood Policing Plan, building trust between police and communities.
- Required NYPD officers to wear body cameras, receive implicit bias training, and be retrained in de-escalation.
- Decriminalized low-level possession of marijuana and other minor infractions, diverting 100,000 cases to civil rather than criminal court and sharply reducing arrests and incarceration for low-level offenses.
- Championed “Ban the Box” legislation prohibiting employers from asking about criminal convictions during the hiring process.
- Launched and expanded programs to lower the number of people on cash bail, leading to the lowest incarceration rate of any big U.S. city.
- Committed unprecedented resources to fund re-entry workforce services for formerly incarcerated people.